The latest survey by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists shows the majority of the UK’s speech and language therapy services being cut in order to save money.
Two-thirds of services said cuts had affected their service users.
According to the report the cuts are leading to
- Increases in children’s waiting times
- Increasing numbers of children waiting for assessment
- Reduction in funding for mainstream schools service
- Only statemented children being seen in many areas
- SLT assistants now managing complex cases due to reduced staffing
Linda Lascelles CEO for Afasic said “We had heard worrying reports but it is a shock to find out the reality of the situation. Parents need to be aware of what is happening, let us know and talk to us about how they can start campaigning to protect these essential services for their children.”