Afasic Parents UK Helpline – 0845 3 55 55 77
Afasic’s Helpline service was launched in September 1996 to provide information to parents, and others, about how to access appropriate support for children with speech and language impairments.
The Helpline service now responds to over 1000 queries a year and has become one of Afasic’s most important and valued services. All queries are answered in complete confidence so that anyone needing help feels able to contact us.
If you have a general enquiry about publications, membership or other matters please ring central office on 020 7490 9410.
The team of staff and volunteers who man the helpline are all themselves parents of children with speech and language impairments, who have received additional training to enable them to answer queries on a range of issues including:
- the diagnosis and implications of speech and language impairments
- speech and language therapy
- schools’ role in supporting children with speech and language impairments
- statements, annual reviews and the role of the LEA
- other professionals who might be involved
- choosing a school for a child with speech and language impairments
- state benefits
Contacting the Helpline
You can contact the Helpline in any of the following ways:
- By phone: This is the most immediate way of getting in touch, and a conversation often makes it easier to pinpoint precisely what help is needed.
- By email: Please use this if you cannot ring us during Helpline opening hours, or if you have a very straightforward query. You can contact the Helpline on our email enquiry form.
- By post, or by fax: Please use the main Afasic address or fax no. on our Contact page.
Please note that the Afasic helpline is intended primarily for parents and we regret that we do not have the resources to answer queries from professionals or students on issues such as choosing suitable speech and language assessments, teaching techniques or research.
The Afasic UK Helpline – 0845 3 55 55 77
also: 020 7490 9420
Open 10.30am – 2.30pm Monday to Friday
Member of the Helplines Association
quality and confidence for callers to helplines