Ways to get Involved
There are lots of ways your company can get involved and support Afasic, including:
There are lots of opportunities to support specific Afasic projects, services and events. Afasic offers a lifeline for parents of children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) so our Helpline, Website, Publications and Conferences are always in demand.
Our ‘Secondary Starter’ Summer Schools help children with SLCN make the important move from primary to secondary school and our youth projects reduce social isolation and help to teach the skills required for independent living.
- £500 pays for 4 children to attend an activity day
- £1,000 could sponsor a musical evening fundraiser or our annual charity bike ride
- £1,300 would support the club night activities for one of our youth groups for a whole year
- £2,500 could sponsor our bi-annual Christmas Carol Concert
- £4,300 would fund one specialist summer school for children transitioning from primary to secondary school
- £12,000 could help us keep the Afasic parent helpline open for 4 months
Employee fundraising is a great way to motivate staff and encourage communication and teamwork.
You could get involved with an Afasic event like our Walk ‘n’ Talk campaign or the 100 Challenge or choose your own event. We’ve outlined some ideas here but whatever you choose to do you, you can help to make a big difference.
- £20 pays for a free family information pack
- £35 pays for an hour of 1:1 support for a parent from the Afasic Helpline Service
- £125 pays for a young person to attend an activity day or self-advocacy course
- £190 pays for a young person to attend an Afasic youth project for a term
Payroll giving is an easy and effective way for employees to raise money for Afasic. The scheme allows employees to make a regular donation to charity, straight from their salary. And because the donation is taken out before tax, a £10 a month donation will actually only cost £8.
To increase the value of the donations companies can also offer Matched Giving. A company simply decides how much they would like to match and this sum is added to the employee donations – potentially doubling the donation..
Gifts in kind
Supporting Afasic by donating products, discounted services or professional advice is an easy and very valuable way for your business to help.
Gifts in kind are a great way to utilise your company’s assets and professional skills and can help Afasic save valuable resources.
- Printing – major items per annum include three issues of our members newsletter ‘Afasic News’, an Annual Review and promotional flyers. If your company could cover some of these costs Afasic can potentially save thousands of pounds.
- Auction and Raffle items – can help raise lots of money at a fundraising event but we urgently need popular, interesting and unique items. They don’t have to be expensive!!
Awareness of speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) is low but, with more than one million children and young people living with this hidden disability across the UK, it’s a problem affecting an average of two children in every class.
- Help us raise the profile of SLCN by adding a charity page to your website with information about your support for Afasic and a link to our website. We’ll acknowledge any support that you can give us.
- Use social media to spread the word about Afasic. Just by hashtagging, liking and sharing we could reach thousands more people!
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook, like/share our posts and retweet where possible.
- Or add a link to Afasic’s website to your email signatures
However you choose to help, we’d be very happy to hear from you. To discuss how your company can work with Afasic please get in touch with Mark on 020 7490 9410 or email Mark.