Hot on the heels of the Ofsted/CQC report on Local Area SEND Inspections, the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman has issued its own report entitled Education, Health and Care Plans: our first 100 investigations. Among the cases the Ombudsman has handled it has found:
- Significant delay in the process
- Failing to involve parents and young people properly in the decision-making process
- A lack of understanding of the process
- Not gathering sufficient evidence to inform decisions
- A lack of proper forward planning when young people move between key educational stages
Nearly 80% of the complaints received have been upheld – far in excess of the Ombudsman’s average of 53% – and the report also includes some guidance to help councils improve their practice. Let’s hope they take note!