Afasic - what to do next
It is important that you feel able to follow up your concerns and move forward with supporting your child and making progress.

Be aware of your rights and what you are entitled to in law

If you live in Wales, please visit Afasic Cymru for relevant information.

Talk to someone who can help
Explain your concerns to someone who can help like your GP or your Health Visitor or your child’s SENCO. If that person cannot help he/she will usually suggest someone who can. For ideas of whom you might contact go to Who Can Help?

Explaining your concerns:

  • Explain what you are worried about and ask if that person can help with your concerns
  • If the person you are speaking to can help, ask them what they will do and by when
  • If the person you are speaking to cannot help, ask who else you can speak to or ask to speak to the person in charge
  • Ask for ideas of what else you can do to move the situation forward for your child.

Need support and advice?

Our Helpline team is here to listen to your concerns and answer your questions.
Get in touch >>

Keep a record
In our busy lives it can be easy to lose track of what to follow up or forget advice that seemed so easy to remember at the time!

Parents tell us that it is helpful to keep a brief record of meetings and phone calls that they have with their health visitor and other professionals. Keeping a record makes it easier to follow up on advice and monitor your child’s progress.

Keep it simple!

  • A date, any concerns/progress and any advice or actions agreed.

Keep it easy to find!

  • Keep a record by writing in eg: your diary or a notebook, typing notes on your phone, or as a voice memo eg: on your phone.
  • Some parents, who have lots of meetings and correspondence about their child, get organised by putting paperwork (like letters and reports) into a file.

Ask for a second opinion
If you are not happy with the service that you are receiving or wish to have a renewed or specialist perspective on an aspect of your child’s development, you can ask for a second opinion.

Asking for a second opinion may feel intimidating but there are usually procedures and policies in place to assist this process. To ask for a second opinion in Health, talk to your GP or Health Visitor, speak directly to the professional involved or ask to speak to their manager. To ask for a second opinion in Education, speak to your child’s Head teacher or SENCO.

A second opinion may involve a different person in the same department, with the relevant expertise, meeting with you and your child to discuss your concerns and take a fresh look at the situation in as holistic a way as possible. It is helpful if the person undertaking the second opinion writes a report that explains their findings and make recommendations for any appropriate action.

If you are still not happy with the service that you are receiving, it may be necessary to consider making a complaint. All organisations should have a complaints procedure in place and be able to give you appropriate information about this.